We already know about “verified certificates”. Well, today Coursera announced “specializations”, which are a series of related courses on a specific subject.
Today we’re excited to announce Specializations, a new type of program that allows students to develop mastery in a specific subject. Specializations take the learning experience beyond one course, offering multi-course series in cutting-edge fields from top institutions in the world.
For instance, you can take the Mobile Development specialization which consists of:
- Course 1 – Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems (Jan 2014)
- Course 2 – Pattern-Oriented Software Architectures: Programming Mobile Services for Android Handheld Systems (Apr 2014)
- Course 3 – Programming Cloud Services for Android Handheld Systems (Jun 2014)
- Capstone Project – The capstone will require students to develop a complex mobile cloud computing application from the ground up. Grading will be done via a mix of automated grading and peer assessment.
As you can see, it consists of three courses from two different universities plus a peer-graded project. Once you succeed at all that, you get an official specialization certificate from Coursera. The cost of this is approximately $200.
The ten tracks announced today are:
- Data Science Specialization
- Mobile Cloud Computing with Android Specialization
- Reasoning, Data Analysis and Writing Specialization
- Foundations of Teaching for Learning Specialization
- Challenges in Global Affairs Specialization
- Modern Musician Specialization
- Systems Biology Specialization
- Cybersecurity Specialization
- Fundamental of Computing Specialization
- Virtual Teacher Program Specialization
It seems the progression to actual online degrees has taken a step forward.